Thursday, February 24, 2005

To buy or not to buy?

Living in a country in which you don't plan to live for life poses a few problems when it comes to long term investment. This is most true when it comes to buying appliances or any electric gadget. Europe is on the 220V versus the US' 110V electricity system. Which means that if you buy a 220V appliance in Germany, you won't be able to use it in the states...Sure you can buy an adapter, but still, who wants adapters all over the house for the rest of their lives?

Thus, whenever I am thinking of making a purchase, I have to ask myself if I really, really want to buy this, if I am only going to be able to use it for another year or two. Bearing in mind this is the same question I have been asking myself for 8 years, and thus never purchased a microwave. Had I known I would be here for 8 years, that microwave would have already paid for itself.

I have a little going-to-bed ritual: open the windows to let freezing air in at night, fill two hot water bottles with boiling water, and snuggle up under my 3(!) feather comforters. I love being snuggly warm, but also have fresh cold air in the room. I wake up more refreshed in the morning, and end up sleeping less.

Well, today I saw an electric mattress warmer for 30 Euros. It was big enough for a queen-sized bed. It would be so warm. I could turn it on 15 minutes before going to bed, and then get into a pre-warmed bed. That would be heaven! I stood in front of that blanket like a kid in front of a pet store. But finally I had to decide that it wasn't worth it for just 1 1/2 more winters in Germany. It was one of those "grrr" moments of living in a country that won't be your home for life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home