Saturday, July 19, 2008

Things I have learned since becoming a mother

This is just a sampling.

  • You've heard of projectile spit-up right? Well, I found out there is such a thing as projectile poop. Word to the wise: if you are changing a diaper and notice that your baby is still pooping, don't stare with fascination at the process, close the diaper and wait, or at least cover the area with a wet wipe...anything but just stare and having to yell for your partner to come and delicately peel off your poop covered t-shirt, so you don't get it all over yourself.
  • Babies are resilient: when my son was about 10 days old he started getting real fussy. So I assumed he was suffering from gas. So I gave him gas drops. Then I decided it must be colic, so I gave him gripe water. Then after 3 days and no let up of the occasional fits of fussiness, I hit upon the idea that the child might be hungry and I wasn't supplying enough breastmilk. Bingo! I added a bottle or two of formula a day and magically the "colic" went away. (I have since managed to catch up with his appetite).
  • All those cute outfits I was going to dress him up in? Yeah...well, now my favorite outfits on him are the full-body kind with feet and a zipper: no need for socks, no snaps, and he is warm. All his Ralph Lauren, Baby GAP and Gymboree outfits are side-lined in favor of Gerber Sleep 'N Plays.
  • Babies don't coo...well, at least mine doesn't. He makes the strangest noises, grunting, seal-like barking, wheezing, snorting and well, of course, passing gas...
Here are some recent piccies:


Rocking a Sarah Original Knitwear sweater.





Smiling for the camera. (I also called him Augustus Gloup for a few days...you might be able to understand why I was having some issues making enough milk for the guy.)




Hanging in the swing.


Looking cute on Auntie Wieb's quilt.

14 Comments:

Blogger Guard Wife said...

He is so very, very, very CUTE. All that hair!

I swear M1 had record-setting projectile poop on one occasion; it was amazing (& really gross).

I loved those little one-pieced 'sleeping bags' with the elastic around the bottoms. So easy to change in the middle of the night! :)

He is handsome & I'm sure brilliant. :)

12:53 AM  
Blogger calista said...

What a cutie :) I love those cheeks!
Callee

1:27 AM  
Blogger Stacy Kaye said...

Oh he is just looking cuter and cuter every day! I can't wait!!! Five more weeks! Or so...I think I'm going to go late. Grrr...

5:00 AM  
Blogger Fermina Daza said...

Oh man, he gets cuter every day! I'm so glad to have met him (and seen you and the husband and your mom). Thanks for meeting us for lunch!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh yeah, HF6 got to meet him!!! Not fair!!!

1:42 PM  
Blogger ThatBeeGirl said...

oh my goodness, that smile is just precious!

5:26 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I think I can see dimples--too cute!

8:10 PM  
Blogger Only $19.95 said...

AWWWW!! I can't wait to see you!

12:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a cutie! You are so blessed! It's good to see an update on the little guy!

Hugs,
L

4:41 AM  
Blogger Butterfly Wife said...

Very cute! :D

10:13 PM  
Blogger Lissa said...

I can't decide which is worse, to get surprise projectile poop on your shirt, or to watch in horror as it hits the wall . . . of course, it was my little bro and I was eight, so I was grossly, morbidly delighted :) He looks like a sweetie!

Lissa

8:15 PM  
Blogger David M said...

Nothing compares to poonami.

10:34 PM  
Blogger MQ said...

He is sooo cute!!

4:15 AM  
Blogger The Mrs. said...

he's adorable! if your amazed at what your learning now hold on to your hat... once they get more mobile its amazing the stuff they figure out. Or dont figure out, just the other day I had to pull over when the smallest one shoved a french fry into the deep recess of his nose. sigh. their slow on the uptake sometimes.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home