Monday, December 17, 2007

I didn't marry a girly-man

Update: Apparently I am super clueless: my husband found this post and said: "you thought that was a bb-gun? That was a real gun." My bad...

I guess you could call our marriage a magenta (not enough blue to be purple, but a sprinkle of it) marriage; he is very red-state, while although conservative, I grew up in Los Angeles, so a lot of blue-ness rubbed off on me.

Guns are an interesting issue in our household. I grew up in a barrio, which is literally just a few levels above a ghetto safety-wise. We still hear gunshots regularly, and police helicopters with spotlights hover over our neighborhood often. We have had a getaway car abandoned in front of our house, and a suspect run through our backyard while being pursued by the police. I have seen drugs dealt, and prostitutes strutting their stuff on our block.

Now having said that, I feel really safe in my parents' neighborhood. My parents have lived there almost 40 years, and never once experienced a break-in. They don't even lock their back door. We also know our neighbors and wave to them as they walk by our kitchen window when they accompany their kids to school. The neighborhood is experiencing a revival of sorts: for years it was rented houses, and now they are owner occupied and you can see a lot of house-pride. One thing we never experience in our neighborhood are drive-bys. The violence isn't random. It seems very much tit for tat. So I have never felt the need for a gun. I have never felt unsafe.

My husband, on the other hand, grew up in suburbia in Kentucky, where kids could ride their bikes and roam free all day long without much fear of any harm. Despite this idyllic upbringing, he fully exercises his constitutional right to bear arms. And he thinks that I am nuts to have never felt the need for a gun while living in LA. (Now, I have to once again specify, we live in a lower-socioeconomic neighborhood, which I believe makes us less of a target for home invasion and robbery than living in a more prosperous neighborhood).

I view his gun ownership just like I view his predilection for Skyline Chili and chicken pot pie: it’s a cultural thing, and although I can eat Skyline Chili occasionally, it’s not something I crave, and I don’t think I ever will. However, after last night I have renewed respect for my husband and his guns.

We live in a pretty safe neighborhood in the South. We were suddenly awoken at about 2am by the sound of breaking glass. While I was still processing the noise, my husband was miles ahead of me. He jumped out of bed, turned on the light and before I knew it he was walking towards where the noise came with a gun in his hand. Now, I didn’t feel particularly threatened about the sound. But I thought this was all very exciting: my husband, walking towards the sound of danger, with his gun (albeit, it was just his bee-bee gun as the “real” gun was in another room, but man it looks menacing). I snuggled a little deeper into the covers of the bed and watched while he turned off the light in the bathroom and peered outside, checking to see if the window had been broken.

He quickly discovered that it was just the glass covering from a light fixture that must have been blown down by the wind (it was extremely windy and rainy that night…which was adding to the whole drama).

He walked back into the bedroom and put the gun back into its case, and put it back in its place, turned off the light and got back into bed. And promptly fell back asleep.

I, on the other hand, was pumped. I was grinning like the Cheshire Cat. “That was sooo hawt,” was all I could think. What a turn on! It took a lot of self-control not to start pawing my sleeping husband. And I realized: “this man is ready and willing to protect his family.” He was so calm and collected in his actions, so confident. I knew that if anyone would be trying to break-in, they would be meeting some serious resistance, and this was highly comforting.

It was a real eye opener to see what properly exercising your Second Amendment right looks like. And having seen it in action, I can honestly say, I like the fact that we have that right.

9 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

LOL - we lived in the same type of neighborhood you grew up in for years in Illinois (my kids knew the sound of gun fire and knew all about gangs at an early age). But we never had guns...mainly because we couldn't afford it.

If you're going to have guns, you have to go to the range and practice. Well, first you have to buy one - and they are NOT cheap. We were barely making it - the cost of a gun was out of our price range.

In the next year, I want to buy a couple of guns and start going to the range - I love target shooting. So far I've never felt threatened - although that can change with only one incident.

And guys protecting their family... yep that's hawt. *grin*

5:34 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

You're so cute! :) I can relate to finding that hawt as Hubs pretty much thinks the 2nd amendment is the very best one of all.

1:57 AM  
Blogger airforcewife said...

definately hawt.

I agree with Sarah. I think I might pay someone to break into my house just so I can see it.

4:33 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Scout has done the same thing before. And yes, it's hot. I just lay in bed while he gets the revolver out and "clears" the house of potential bad guys.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Bette said...

Ha! This happens at our house too. I've never felt so safe.

Even though I'm pretty much blue, I heart the Second Amendment!

4:13 PM  
Blogger Rachelle Jones said...

You got married? I have not seen any photos yet, so I was not sure...

*cough*

Glad you married an American badass!

5:52 PM  
Blogger FbL said...

LOL! Great post. :)

I haven't had the pleasure of the experience you describe, but one of my favorite memories of my cop ex-boyfriend is standing on the packed downtown Trolley on our second date and watching his body language as he scanned the car and its occupants until he'd categorized each one and decided they were harmless. I knew he was armed (always carried off-duty), and he pulled me toward him protectively as he scanned. So, I stood there for the duration of the trip, 10-12 inches away and face-to-face with him... wondering when I could finally get my hands on this wonderfully competent and protective hunk. *blush*

Hmm... now that I think about it, I wonder how much of that was by design... Heh. It worked. *more blushing*

9:46 PM  
Blogger Household6 said...

*giggle* Yeah, I think the hubby is pretty hot all dressed up in his battle rattle. Just something about it, makes me want to strip it all off of him. That's pretty damn hard when he's trying to get on the bus to deploy - tee hee hee

2:12 AM  
Blogger Only $19.95 said...

Yeah, I'm with Army Wife. Where's the pics at, yo?

I totally follow the not-having-a-gun thing growing up. I remember the first time I was at a friend's house (military friend) and she had a revolver on top of her fridge. It was the most foreign strange feeling knowing she had a loaded weapon sitting RIGHT THERE.

And while we still don't have weapons, I got all cheesy when my husband was playing catcher (oooh, that sounds bad) in a baseball game.... Hat backward crouchin down... Cute baseball outfit. Dirty and sweaty. ;P

I'm glad you posted even though there's no pics.

5:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home