Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Not again...

Just got news of another Chinook crash in Afghanistan.

A U.S. CH-47 Chinook helicopter crashed Tuesday while flying troops into eastern Afghanistan, and the fate of those on board was not immediately known, the U.S. military said.

Sources tell CBS National Security Correspondent David Martin that there were 16 troops on board. The cause of the crash in Kunar province was not clear, a military statement said. Provincial Governor Asadullah Wafa told The Associated Press that the Taliban hit the aircraft with a rocket. He gave no other details.

The military statement did not say how many troops were on the aircraft. It added that the "status of survivors is unknown at this time."

Thankfully, we have been informed from the FRG that it wasn't our unit.

Once again, a guilty sigh of relief. And my hearts go out to the families who don't yet know the fate of their loved ones.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I just heard it on the news and came upstairs to email you. I'm glad to hear this particular news doesn't pertain to you...

10:15 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

I can't even sleep right now. Eventhough I know its not our unit, Iam still sad about everyone else!
All my thoughts go out to the family's.

Be strong!

11:39 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

I hadn't even seen the news yet when you let me know... I can't thank you enough for the update. And I'm still sitting on pins and needles waiting for news of the crew and passengers. *sigh*

11:46 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Glad to hear your good news.

As soon as I saw it, I thought of you.

Hang in there.

Let's hope for the best.

12:10 AM  
Blogger airforcewife said...

Jen, your comment brought tears to my eyes. I remember wanting to pray for my hubby while he was gone, but being afraid to because my superstitious mind was afraid that would deflect the horror to someone else who might not have the support I did.

And I know what my hubby's choice would have been, given the karmic choice between him or one of his guys. While we were talking yesterday, he finally told me that he went on every mission possible because he didn't want to send someone else in his place.

1:30 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

I just got home, flipped on the news and heard the headline. First news I'd heard all day...so naturally first place I come is here. I am glad that your boyfriend's unit wasn't affected, but my heart goes out to those that are.

Ugh. So much sad news lately. =\

2:43 AM  
Blogger Fermina Daza said...

I"m so glad your bf is ok.

3:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home