Friday, June 03, 2005

Veteran Harassment

A friend of mine, a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom, wrote an email to a client before Memorial Day weekend. He was reprimanded at work this week and told he needed to be more politically correct.

When he asked what was so un-PC about his email, they said anything war related could be interpreted as political.

Since the company owns the email distribution system, they do have the right to stipulate what can and can’t be said in an email.

However, this really irked me, considering it was the same company who told him it was better he not mention his service in Iraq when dealing with clients, indicating that this could somehow be offensive or distasteful to some people. I don't know what you'd call that, but together with the emailing incident, I call it harassment.

The thing that really bothers me about this whole situation, is that his email, while mentioning the war in Iraq, is about respect for those who paid the ultimate price, which for him came very close to home, having lost a few friends while deployed. However, his employer said that anything war related could be interpreted as being political. So, respecting soldiers who fought in wars is un-PC now?

Here is his email, so you may judge for yourself:

Friends:

This Memorial Day while you’re enjoying the day off and sipping a cold one, please take time to think about those who still continue to fight in Afghanistan and Iraq. And honor those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice by living your life. Serving your country doesn’t necessarily mean you have to wear a uniform. People who show up to work every day and raise their children right are this country’s most unheralded heroes. Yes, Soldiers sacrifice a lot, but they do it so nobody else has to and so our country can continue to be great... even though they know each day in a combat zone could be their last. Please honor the lives of the Great WWII heroes, the forgotten KoreanWar fighters, the Vietnam War Soldiers and the 1,800 men and women who have died in our recent Middle Eastern campaigns. We have freedom because of these people.

Thank you.

9 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Was this in America?

12:27 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

I hope he's actively looking for another job! Sheesh. It won't get any better so he should seriously consider getting out of there.

3:35 AM  
Blogger CaliValleyGirl said...

Yes, this was in in America. And I hope he gets out of there soon, too. Some companies actually prefer hiring former military, I can't believe this guys almost have a don't ask, don't tell policy with him.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Living Dees Life said...

How lame. I see nothing wrong with his email at all. I sent a similair one to all of my friends and family... *sigh* His employer should be PROUD of him, not trying to keep him silent.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Sehr interessant.

Ich habe eine geschichte sehr ahnlich.

6:05 PM  
Blogger CaliValleyGirl said...

MJ, not bad with your German...eine sehr aehbliche Geschichte, huh? That is sad to hear. I mean, some companies actually prefer to hire veterans, or at least ex-military. I think it's so depressing.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Sminklemeyer said...

it could be worse. your "friend" could be homeless and have no skills to get another job. but i am sure your "friend" will find another job soon. your "friend" sounds like a really cool guy.

8:06 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

I think it's the mentioning of some wars that are bones of contention amongst a certain amount of people, and then directly after mentioning those wars saying "we have freedom because of those people." I'm just saying, I can see how the employer might fret over someone misinterpreting that or taking offense. My father is a Vietnam vet, and he'd laugh his ass off if you told him he had served because he was keeping us free. And he's not alone in that sentiment. So I'm just saying I am trying to understand the "why" here. I'm NOT saying it was right, I'm just trying to personally understand the rationale.

8:09 PM  
Blogger ByteWise Blogger said...

I find it rather disturbing that anyone in America would demean the aknowledgement of the soldiers that died for this country. It's sad really that there really are people like this.

I wonder if they even know why they get Memorial day off.

...just my 2 cents

And I agree, he should get a new job.

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home