Sunday, September 25, 2005

Another Chinook down in Afghanistan

The news of the Chinook which crashed this morning in Afghanistan woke me from my post-R&R reverie. Although I received an email from the FRG stating that the helicopter was not from my boyfriend’s unit, I was also soothed by the knowledge that he was still in transit returning after mid-tour leave. My relief is someone else’s heartache. I can’t help but feel weepy, because the reality of the dangers of my boyfriend’s job are suddenly shoved in front of my face once again.

In the seven months his unit has been in Afghanistan there have been 5 Chinook crashes: three deadly with no survivors, and two with no serious injuries. In the meantime, I can only remember of hearing of one Chinook crashing in Iraq, a Blackwater Securities Chinook downed by ground fire. Flying conditions in Afghanistan are deadlier for helicopters than Iraq, the high elevation and sudden unforeseeable sand storms are proving deadlier factors than enemy fire.

My thoughts are with the families going through the emotional rollercoaster of casualty notification.

5 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

Iam still shocked and for some reason the FRG didn't call me. That didn't make it easier for the 1st sec, especially I knew that my husband left early this morning to go flying. I talked to some wives of our unit and they said this deployment is the worse ever and it wasn't that bad in Iraq last year.
Anyway, my thoughts go out to the families aswell. That is too sad.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

As soon as I saw the news, I came straight here. On one hand, I am glad it's not your BF's unit but am heavy-hearted for those families affected.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Fermina Daza said...

I'm so glad he's ok. So very glad. But, like Sue, my heart is heavy.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Fermina Daza said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Household6 said...

This is always a hard situation - no one wants the situation to have happened to people they know but it's just as hard to know that it happened to someone.

HH6

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home