Sunday, December 25, 2005

Mele Kalikimaka…

…is the thing to say on a bright Hawaiian Christmas day!

Some people believe that for a Christmas to feel truly like Christmas, there must be snow. But that’s not the truth at all.

I have spent every Christmas in memory, except for one, in Hawaii. The title of this blog belies the fact that I have spent one third of my life in Hawaii, one third in Los Angeles, and the last third, and increasing majority of my life, in Germany. I grew up here, and the rest of the United States just went under the nebulous title “The Mainland” for me. The only thing I cared about on the mainland was Disneyland. Everything else was pretty boring: the beaches were cold, there was too much cement, and flip flops were frowned upon as everyday footwear.

Hawaii has so many elements of nostalgia for me. On the flight over to Kauai my best friend from kindergarten and first grade was also on the plane. Although I hadn’t seen her in 20 odd years, I immediately recognized her. The mother of my elementary school art teacher was also flying over. Hawaii is very very small town.

The weather is fabulous, and I already have the beginnings of a wonderful tan. We have opted out of having the traditional Hawaiian Christmas tree this year, in favor of the, pre-lit, pack-out-of-a-box kind. This Christmas my mother and I have decided we are going to cut corners where we can, and spend more time at the beach and doing things we want, rather than unpacking and packing up Christmas decorations.

Tomorrow my eldest brother will come over with his daughters and wife, and most probably dog too, and we will eat Christmas lunch together. Because of our European heritage we will be having duck, brusselsprouts (thank goodness I am old enough to be able to refuse to eat them) and roasted potatoes. Green beans with almonds, baked yams with pecan topping, and pumpkin pie will be the “American” elements rounding up the meal.

And afterwards we usually unpack the presents. After oohing and ahhing over them, we all get into our swimwear and go to the beach.

For me, a Christmas without sand, just isn’t Christmas.

Mele Kalikimaka everyone!

3 Comments:

Blogger ThatBeeGirl said...

Mele kalikimaka!
My Christmases in Hawaii (graduated from high school on Maui) are some of my favorite memories...

8:06 PM  
Blogger Fermina Daza said...

Hawaii is very very small town.


Very true.


How long will you be on island? We get back from our trip on the 30th. Enjoy the sun!!!


- hfs

5:40 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Merry Christmas to you! I hope it was one to remember!

I'm with you on the weather - although maybe not THAT perfect weather. I have never liked the 'white Christmas' - those that have happened here always added such an element of tension trying to travel between family members in inclement weather. Bring on mild, cloudy weather anytime!

Enjoy your time with family and make sure to continue to stock up on the Sephora! Take it for the TEAM!

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home