Saturday, July 01, 2006

F*ckers

...that was my boyfriend's response to the alleged premeditated rape and murder of an Iraqi woman, and the subsequent killings of some of her family members.

I am sickened when I read the purported details of the case:

The Americans entered the Sunni Arab's family home, separated three males from the woman, raped her and burned her body using a flammable liquid in a cover-up attempt, a military official close to the investigation said. The three males were also slain.

It is still under investigation but it seems to have been a crime of opportunity, the soldiers having observed the woman on previous patrols and then planning the crime. The Army official was also careful to mention that the soldiers had never been subject to an attack themselves, so in no way was this a case of "collateral damage" incurred in defense.

According to the article: If convicted of premeditated murder, the soldiers could receive a death sentence under U.S. military law.

I am against the death penalty. But in this case I could almost see it justified in punishing treasonous behavior. This wasn't only a crime against an Iraqi family. It hurt so much more than the families involved. It hurts American-Iraqi relations. It endangers US soldiers.

It makes me so angry. And so very sad for everyone involved.

6 Comments:

Blogger Only $19.95 said...

I dunno, Cali.... It sounds really fishy to me. I honestly don't believe it. And to conspire to do it without anyone spilling the beans.... Then, at the bottom of the article it said, "The senior Army official said the alleged incident was first revealed by a soldier during a routine counseling-type session. The Army official said that soldier did not witness the incident but heard about it."

Hmmm. Routine counseling? I have never heard of routine counseling! Sounds like a bunch of bull to me....

11:32 PM  
Blogger MQ said...

I'm always skeptical of these reports, because I guess I believe so much in the goodness of our troops, but it's such a horrible story that if true - death penalty for sure.

4:12 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I, too was sickened by this story. My first response was "of course, that has to be false -- who would do that?" I have to remind myself that not every American Soldier is a good person. How many times has my husband been called in the middle of the night because a soldier in his unit was in trouble for domestic violence?

About the counseling thing. My mom read in our local paper that the two soldiers who were kidnapped, tortured, and killed recently were a part of the same platoon as those soldiers who committed the crime. The soldier who confessed felt guilty and came forward with the information -- probably because he figured out that his innocent buddies were targeted because of his actions.

All in all -- it's just such a sad story. And the worst part is that the media is having a heyday with it!

11:13 PM  
Blogger ThatBeeGirl said...

I'm ashamed to admit this, but...

I hadn't heard of that story, and I'm almost wishing I stll hadn't. It makes me absolutely sick. I'm with you on capital punishment.

Just sick.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Living Dees Life said...

I've heard the story. It was all over the news forever. I want it to not be true, so badly.

Mainly, because I dont want to believe that anyone could do that. Especially a Soldier. But I know humans, and having been a victim of rape, it just rips me to shreds that it did happen again, and in such a trajic manor.

I just have to pray its not true and a really nasty hoax. I'm always holding out for hope.

8:29 AM  
Blogger kbug said...

It is indeed sickening to think that our guys could do something like that...but people are capable of some pretty sick things. What is truly sad, though, is how much coverage this has gotten when there wasn't much said about the sickening torture and murder of those two soldiers who were captured. There's something wrong with that!! Both are heinous crimes, but only one is being touted that way.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home