Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Future plans

My boyfriend will be moving to his next duty station in about two months. I had been planning on staying here in Germany for at least another year to do an apprenticeship, but have decided to also move back to the States. I will be moving back to Los Angeles. So we will be having a bi-coastal relationship.

There are a few reasons for this decision. One, I miss my family. I have been living here in Germany since January 1997. That's 9 ½ years. Before that, I was a year in France. I left home when I was 17. And I just miss hanging out with my family, especially now that I have so many nieces and nephew (only one nephew). I want to go suck up some family time, tank up on all that again.

Secondly, I want to work. I have never supported myself financially. Sure, I have had part-time jobs, but they only funded my travels or were just extra pocket money for me. I have never had to fend for myself financially. And I really want to do that now. If I had done an apprenticeship I would have once again been financially dependent.

Thirdly, my father has offered me a job. Which is kind of cool. My youngest brother already works for him, and has for a while. My eldest brother actually works together with my mother, so I guess I am just following tradition here, getting into one of the family businesses. It definitely promises to be interesting.

So basically a summation: in attempt to become financially independent I will be 1) moving back home, and 2) working for my dad. ;-)

I am really excited about it all. Sad to leave Germany and my friends here, but also excited about this new chapter in my life.

I am also interested in seeing how my relationship with my boyfriend handles that distance. Right now I am all gung-ho about this segment in my life, which I see as a kind of breather between university and settling down. However I wonder how I will be feeling after a few months. I know that our relationship has evolved since the deployment, and we are strong enough to handle this kind of separation. I know I am going to miss him terribly. I have gotten so used to seeing him for days on end, hopping on a train on a moment's whim, and not having to go longer than a week without seeing him. So this might just be hot air, and when I get to Los Angeles I will be a blubbering mess. Time will tell.

But over all, I am excited.

8 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

I'm so excited for you!

It's amazing how much I relate to your posts.

My boyfriend and I have been together for four years now, and during those four years we have lived in the same place for 2 1/2 months. Other than those months we'd have to travel from Boston to Maryland, Boston to San Diego and most recently Boston to Virginia (can't forget to add my four months abroad and his 8 months overseas). The cross country trips can be tough, but I have a feeling you'll both do well, and yet again, come out stronger.

Working with your Dad will be amazing! I really love it when I get to work with mine. What line of work will you be getting into?

1:44 AM  
Blogger ThatBeeGirl said...

Wow, what an exciting change, especially after nearly a 19 year absence! Welcome back! :)

4:46 AM  
Blogger kbug said...

Good luck on your new adventure...I know things will work out for the best one way or the other...they have a way of doing that.

5:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey girl!
I'm so glad you'll be coming home! Thank goodness those horrible exams will soon be over--you should be so proud of your accomplishments. It was hard enough at an American university! Your family will be thrilled to have you as well, I know. And, we can commiserate together about long-distance relationships anytime you like. I get that. :)
Be well,
Lara

5:22 AM  
Blogger Stacy Kaye said...

That's a pretty big life transition! It's exciting too! You have lived a pretty full and incredible life thus far and it will probably just be more of the same when you are back in LA. I'm sure your family will be THRILLED to have you around...I know mine would be happy to have me back. It will be so exciting to watch your nieces and nephew grow up before your eyes instead of through pictures! Congrats on the big decision!

6:24 AM  
Blogger Fermina Daza said...

The distance between LA and where he's going is a lot shorter than the distance between Germany and where he's going. And flights can get pretty cheap.

I'm excited for you! And maybe, next time I'm in SoCal, we can actually hook up! (no pun intended!)


- hfs

9:13 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

I hope everything works out wonderfully well for you. I also hope you enjoy living back in the States after all this time in Germany. *grin*

10:40 PM  
Blogger Living Dees Life said...

Thats an awesome life change. Cheers to you!

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home