Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I forgot to mention...

...in my last post, that my nieces were almost oblivious to the f-word and the real s-word. I was dropping those left and right when they were here, and they wouldn't even flinch. But shame on me if I said "heck" or "stupid."

I found this very strange. It was like they were living in some complete naivity, and then had some whacked sense of what was a "bad word."

When I sign my (hypothetical) kids up for school I am going to shy away from those having strict policies about "no playing war," no pretending to play with gun, and some warped "bad word" policy etc. That certainly won't prepare them for the realities of this world.

5 Comments:

Blogger Stacy Kaye said...

It's interesting that the school decides those certain words are bad...I would think those sorts of decisions would be left up to the parents.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

It's the lazy way of taking care of a problem. Instead of teaching kids not to call others names, etc... they teach them that certain "words" are bad and shouldn't be used.

As you can see, your niece has no problem with figuring out new and better ways to call people names - LOL- so making the word "stupid" a prohibited word, didn't do what it was intended to do.

I can see banning profanity, because of its nature and the profane words (even if in constant use now days) are still considered offensive.

12:46 AM  
Blogger StoicMom said...

Hey! I've got a nice cussin' jar you can have.

2:37 AM  
Blogger CoInSide said...

Hey neighbor, it's an odd world out there. I was telling a friend who has early elementary aged kids about the movie I'd seen recently-"Happy Feet" he said he's heard the environmental message was too over the top. Huh?

On the other hand I have a minister friend that packed up & moved the family from rural MO (to Van Nuys) because they were afraid their young son wouldn't be aware that there is diversity in paople.

4:16 AM  
Blogger ThatBeeGirl said...

It certainly won't!
My sister used to call people "damn Communists!" when she was, like, 7. :)

4:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home