Sunday, September 25, 2005

Firepower Forward Five is back from R&R

Firepower Forward 5 has a very descriptive account of how it is to return back to the unit after mid-tour leave. It gives me some insight into what my boyfriend is going through and thinking on his journey back to Afghanistan. An anecdote about the soldiers' reception in Ireland had me near tears:

After a 3 hour layover in Shannon Ireland, we are called to board. 200 soldiers begin making their way out of the small terminal towards the gate. Several of the American tourists in the terminal position themselves near the door and shake hands with soldiers or clap them on the back wishing them good luck as the exit. I remember visiting Dublin last year and having our host go out of her way to show me some anti-Bush posters on lamp posts and billing them as a general indictment by Ireland against the war. Today though, as I near the terminal exit, I hear the clapping start sporadically then rapidly spread throughout the terminal. Looking over my shoulder I saw every person in the terminal on their feet applauding. My eyes misted over as our contingent made our way out of the terminal and back towards harms way, thankful for the hospitality of the Emerald Isle.

5 Comments:

Blogger Household6 said...

He cracks me up everytime he tells about being in Ireland but not permitted to drink the beer! Poor man - was beer deprived of good beer.

HH6

11:15 AM  
Blogger airforcewife said...

That is just so wonderful. I'm so happy they had a chance to feel the love we all have for them.

4:45 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Firepower Forward... one of my favorite reads. With all the moving and computer problems I hadn't seen that post. Thank you so much for reminding me. He is one of the very best writers around - he has such a way with words it's incredible.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Good to see you back.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Kent said...

Thanks for sharing. America, leading the way, advancing freedom, democracy and peace, as usual.

It's about time people around the world begin to acknowledge the sacrifice by our men and women of the US military.

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home