Monday, October 17, 2005

Judgment Error

I find this really unfair:

Brother Kenneth M. Hoagland had heard all the stories about prom-night debauchery at his Long Island high school:

Students putting down $10,000 to rent a party house in the Hamptons.

Pre-prom cocktail parties followed by a trip to the dance in a liquor-loaded limo.

Fathers chartering a boat for their children's late-night "booze cruise."

Enough was enough, Hoagland said. So the principal of Kellenberg Memorial High School canceled the spring prom in a 2,000-word letter to parents this fall.

My school was really small, a graduating class of eight. Thus, I never had a prom. I think that is why I was pretty excited about going to my boyfriend’s military ball this last February.

I do think that some of the extremes people go to for prom are over-the-top. But it’s a free country. And if people want to spend those outrageous amounts of money, I think that is their prerogative. However, I don’t think that it’s the principal’s prerogative, just because he finds it distasteful to just stop the party. He won’t be changing anyone’s behavior, just making the children and parents more determined. A private school can decide what to allow and not, but I think they are making a huge error here.

Prom and graduation are a rite of passage. To just cancel prom is unbelievable. Perhaps it is just a scare tactic, but I think it will backfire. I think what will happen is that an alternative prom will happen. And the principal and school will lose all jurisdiction over it.

And I bet the theme won’t be “Under the Sea” or anything innocent like that…

It’s cases like this that really enforce my Libertarian beliefs.

1 Comments:

Blogger Household6 said...

So he's willing to sponsor a prom but not an orgy - but an earlier quote says it's not about the sex/drugs but the flaunting of affluence? He's being contradictory here.

Lets do the math - 46 students for 10K is only $220. That's really not all that much for a safe place to post party where keys can be taken away and kids are out in the middle of a field doing shots and then driving away.

I'm right there with you CVG, this guy is out of line on this.

HH6

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home