Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The War after the War

A while back I watched an online slide show about the recovery of a National Guardsman who had lost both legs in an IED attack. I was so impressed by his wife, who was 21 or 22 at the time of his injury, and mother of 2 young girls, and was taking care of her husband. One picture is just burnt into my memory, and that was of her carrying him into the bathtub...now this girl was tiny, I mean, she probably weighed 100 pounds soaking wet. It was a real impressive and depressing sight to see. However, their attitudes were just amazing.

And now MSNBC has a follow up slide show. (There is a link to the first story there too.) They are still just as impressive a couple.

I can't help thinking, wow...she is onlz 23? She is so mature. And quick. When commenting on how her husband used to be an early bird, and now it takes him 15 minutes to get his prosthetic legs on, she says..."well, my grandfather always used to say the early bird gets the worm...but I would answer back...yeah, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

And she was only 21 when all that responsibility was thrust upon her. Amazing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Only $19.95 said...

Wow.
Sometimes you see things and you feel absolutely guilty for having such an easy life, or ever complaining about stupid shit.

I hope that they have the love for each other that just gets stronger through things like this.... Versus tearing them apart.

I might be linking to this, but you have such a large following, it would be useless!

3:50 AM  
Blogger airforcewife said...

I watched this yesterday and couldn't comment on it until now. What an amazing family.

It's very true, I now feel horribly guilty for my easy life.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

I finally got a chance to watch this... what a terrific couple! They've been hit hard, yet they come back swinging. I am in awe of them both. I wish I could say I would have reacted as well as she did, but I don't know what I would have done! I do know that I wouldn't have been able to carry my husband!

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home