Monday, November 28, 2005

Best Mascara Evah and other beauty product musings


Okay....$18 is an insane amount of money to spend on mascara, I admit. But man, it was sooooo worth it. This will be the first mascara that I will ever actually finish, before having to throw away becuase it's too old and clumpy. I use it all the time. Bad Gal Lash from Benefit. Good stuff, makes your lashes so long, people think they are fake.

Sephora is my temple of worship. I love going in there, and letting a gay man make me over, and walking out with products. By the way, that is a huge tip: if you let a gay man do your make-up, chances are it will turn out better than a woman. Many women know how to put on make-up, because they apply it on themselves and oftentimes they are just putting make-up on you, like they would on themselves. You become a facial double for them. This won't happen if a man is doing your make-up...not that he doesn't make himself up either, but usually, it means that he is ultra talented when it comes to make-up application. Sadly Sephora never really made it in Germany, and closed their stores here.

I am too embarassed to list any other make up purchases, because they were incredible splurges, and it's embarassing. But Bad Gal Lash was worth it.

A few days ago I caved in and bought some hot curlers...they were only 17 Euros, argument enough. And now I am an addict. I have to figure out how to use them, so I don't look all 70s. However, when the curls just turn into soft waves, it's gorgeous. I have got the straightest hair out, so waves are nice. Anyways, a few days ago I was chatting with my man over the webcam, and had my hair down, soft waves and all, and he said my hair looked really nice, which is HUGE from my boyfriend who isn't the most expressive of men. Usually, I will get a "you're hot" or "you look good", but rarely specific compliments. So...um, yes, 17 Euros well spent. (Man, to think I got a set of 20 hot curlers for the same price as that mascara...)

And the best anti-frizz serum for blowdrying my hair (ironically) straight, is Neutrogena, because it is just as good as other serums, but only costs about $4. (I.e. spend your bucks on mascara).

Still looking for a volumizing product to fall in love with though.

I guess that is the extent of the CaliValleyGirl Beauty Awards.

7 Comments:

Blogger airforcewife said...

Yeah, I'm not even going to mention how much I spend on such products. I started out in the teen years with Cover Girl, progressed to Maybelline, then Max Factor, now as an old woman of 31 I have to use Clinique.

2:50 AM  
Blogger ThatBeeGirl said...

I don't wear a whole lot of makeup, but I am on the seemingly never-ending quest for the perfect mascara. 18 clams is a bit much to shell out, though I may give it a try.
:)

3:53 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Let me just say a big ME TOO! That Bad Girl lash is my favourite and actually one of the main reasons for my trip to Seattle this weekend. No Sephora or Benefit here either, I'm afraid.

It's funny, I don't actually wear makeup on a daily basis but have some pretty particular requirements when I do!

5:53 AM  
Blogger Fermina Daza said...

AFW ~ 31 is NOT old!!! Because, if it is, then I"M old and I don't want to BE old!


I love Sephora too. I'm a Bare Minerals convert and will never use anything else. I may have to check out the mascara. Rarely do I splurge on myself - this may be one of those rare times...

10:08 AM  
Blogger Rachelle Jones said...

I still use the pink and green...I have no idea who makes the stuff...

4:51 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

Heh. It's a Holy Grail quest, seeking out that perfect mascara. I have settled upon three!! I love: the Physician's Formula Retroglow one, Borghese's, and YSL Volumizing. And you must try the Smashbox lash primer - it's freaking brilliant stuff. Which is yet another 16 dollars of stuff to coat the lashes with before you even get to the mascara itself. Sigh. Looking for perfect lashes is expensive. At least the Physician's Formula goes on sale at my grocery for only 5 bucks from time to time.

4:55 AM  
Blogger katiedid said...

army wife - the pink and green is Maybelline's Great Lash. You must branch out. There has been much progress made in the way of mascara innovation since that stuff first came out. The Maybelline Full and Soft is good, and if you don't have really sensitive eyes or allergies, NYC Lengthening always is so cheap and quite nice for only $1.00!!

4:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home