Friday, December 02, 2005

The apples of my eye

I am an aunt...in fact, five times over.

When my eldest brother's wife had their first daughter, I was so excited. I went with my mother and father to pick them up from the the airport to see her for the first time. I had my camera with me, and my father had the video camera. And we waited at the gate (pre-9/11 obviously) for them to come out. And they were among the last to leave the plane. And when they came out, my brother was beaming with pride, as was the happy mother, who was carrying the 3 week-old baby in a Baby Björn strapped to her chest. And she was covered with a blanket, because she was sleeping.

When they came over to us, my sister-in-law pulled the blanket off so we could see her. And I cried. Now I don't mean tears of joy, which I wiped away laughing. I mean, I just started bawling there. At the gate. There was just so much emotion there. Seeing my brother as a father, this tiny little life that I was instantly in love with, long before ever meeting her. How tiny and small she was. I was just overwhelmed. And embarassed. I couldn't stop crying. The whole way back from the airport I was a bundle of emotions.

I got better after that. The next day, I tried again. And this time I was able to hold my niece without letting my emotions get the better of me. Now I don't cry when I see my new nephew or nieces. But I am so in love with those guys. And now that they are no longer babies, but little people, it is even more fun. Their sense of humor, their honesty, their sisterly-love for each other.

And they are just adorable. I mean, gorgeous. I got this picture from my brother yesterday, with the note: "Check out my beautiful daughters." So in turn, I say: check out my beautiful nieces.


Can't wait to see those girls again in just a few weeks!

And um, this girl is only six, and has a better sense of fashion and poise than I do. I tell my sister-in-law, she reminds me of the girl I always used to hate in school, just too perfect (except for the fact that she just lost another tooth):

6 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

Aw! They are very cute little girls. Those are great pictures. *grin*

3:20 PM  
Blogger airforcewife said...

Ohmigawd! They are breathtaking!

3:44 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

They are just beautiful! Thanks for sharin'!

And I understand that emotion. I've felt it 8 times over myself. Then now even multiplied a hundred fold with my niece's little ones. Imagine...my brother's daughter's kids. I never would have believed how incredibly strong that feeling is before I felt it myself!

11:39 PM  
Blogger Only $19.95 said...

Yes, I agree - absolutely beautiful! Someone's going to buy stock in the chastity belt industry! Rothenberg AB Tauber has a good selection, just in case you need a place to start looking!

2:34 AM  
Blogger Fermina Daza said...

I hope he has guns. Or something to run the boys off with! They are beautiful!!!


- hfs

10:45 AM  
Blogger ThatBeeGirl said...

Your brother is going to have to invest in guns. Definitely. :)

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home