Monday, February 13, 2006

Snow


It was snowing when he left last year. Well, it had been snowing. At the time, I found the snow gloomy and depressing. It is darker when it snows. Also, it is incredibly quiet. It muffles all noise. It was also pretty quiet around my boyfriend's apartment. We were both optimistic about our upcoming separation, but the silence spoke volumes. In it were our unspoken worries about the upcoming deployment.

We would cuddle and say how much we were going to miss each other, but I think we both knew the very real possibility existed that we wouldn't be together in his apartment again. Not just because of the life threatening dangers of a deployment, but also because of the strains it puts on a relationship, especially a burgeoning relationship.

And the snow was everywhere. And it made everything seem colder.

After he left, I couldn't wait for spring to come, for winter to be over. Time just couldn't move along fast enough. Finally the snow melted and gave way to spring.

As happy as I was to see the grass shoots appear last spring, I was even happier to see the snow again this year. It means we have nearly come full-circle. He will soon be home again!

And now I find the snow beautiful. It blankets the whole countryside. When I was jogging this afternoon I had to squint, and cursed myself for not wearing my sunglasses, because it was so bright, the sunlight being reflected off thousands of tiny snow crystals. It was almost metaphorical: the future is so bright now!

9 Comments:

Blogger ThatBeeGirl said...

What a great post!
The future is bright.
:)

4:02 PM  
Blogger Day by Day said...

How sweet! Just think 10 more days and you will be cuddling up again...

Just wanted to wish you a Happy Early
Valentine's Day
!

6:05 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Amazing how one's perspective on the weather changes in accord with what's happening in life. Yes, it's been a beautiful winter so far.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Stacy Kaye said...

I love the snow...I don't get much here and when it does come it creates this magical world. I used to hate it because I would have to shovel it and scrape it off of my car. Now that I don't have it anymore, I sometimes long for it. I'm glad you can enjoy it and look forward to seeing your man is just a few short days!

8:40 PM  
Blogger kbug said...

How beautiful, and how wonderful that the time is near that your soldier will be walking through that door. I'm glad you're so close to the end of his deployment.....one day we will be too.

1:28 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

Yeah and the snow always looks so beautiful in Germany. I am thinking of you...your boyfriend is coming back almost one year to the day Cole returned last year.

2:55 AM  
Blogger Household6 said...

I have grown to like snow and am particularly fond of a fresh snow fall here. Now just don't go crazy and start counting the snow flakes to pass the time. I'd have to come over/down there and make sure you didn't have a fever.

HH6

7:15 AM  
Blogger Fermina Daza said...

Oh how I miss the snow!!! Your time is so short - yay!!!


- hfs

9:12 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

love the pic!!!!..and Iam counting down with you!

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home