Tuesday, February 07, 2006

How juvenile...

I had to smirk when I read this:

A prominent Iranian newspaper said Tuesday it would hold a competition for cartoons on the Holocaust to test whether the West extends the principle of freedom of expression to the Nazi genocide as it did to the caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad.

Um, well, I am sure there won't be burning fires in front of Iranian embassies, if that is what they expect.

It's not like this is going to ramp things up, because Iran was already upping the ante with this ditty:

Iran said last month it would sponsor a conference to examine the scientific evidence supporting the Holocaust, an apparent attempt to give voice to Holocaust deniers.

I am very much against Germany and Austria's stance on the Holocaust. There is zero tolerance, and anyone saying the Holocaust didn't happen and spouting Nazi sentiments can be prosecuted for hate crimes. So I wonder how the German government will react to this, but for sure there will be no rioting.

But basically, game on, Iran!

2 Comments:

Blogger airforcewife said...

But we've already seen how the West will react. No one did much of anything except get grossed out when Muslim newspapers showed Ariel Sharon eating babies. It's not even mentioned when Muslim newspapers show hook-nosed, greedy Jewish charicatures (ick, my bad spelling).

As for Christian religious figures... Gee, there's a huge riot outside my house right now over Kanye West dressing up as my Lord and Savior on Rolling Stone.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

LOL - why does this remind me of that scene in Austin Powers when Dr. Evil wants 1 million dollars...

Yeah Iran is a bit behind the times aren't they - then again they've been living in the dark ages for so long I'm surprised they know what a cartoon is.

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home