Monday, January 02, 2006

New Years Eve

New Years Eve certainly wasn't as depressing as I thought it would be...in fact, I think I almost have better memories of this past celebration, than the year before, which I shared with my boyfriend. Last year's celebration was filled with foreboding of the upcoming deployment, while this year's celebration signaled the end of a year, which despite my greatest efforts to the contrary, still will be to some extent defined as "the year my boyfriend was deployed to Afghanistan."

All the accomplishments of the past year, no matter how great or fulfilling they were, will be slightly overshadowed. When my boyfriend deployed, I vowed not to let this year be defined by his absence, but nevertheless, his absence has left this gaping hole.

This New Years Eve, I enjoyed the company of my family, especially my nieces, and many family friends. We drank, we danced, we talked until our eyelids started drooping...and yesterday we were all paying the price for it. And I felt a sudden giddiness as midnight passed. Another milestone in this deployment had been reached. Another tangible marker in time.


In my best Martha Stewart impression, I made the desserts.

My mother and father ringing in the new year.

Me with my favorite niece (aunties are allowed to have favorites).

All the little girls getting their groove on.

Shortly later: passed out on the livingroom couch.

Hope your new years celebration was memorable too!

9 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Happy New Year to you! I know 2006 will be such a happy one for you - I'm looking forward to hear that he's back in your arms again.

Loved the pics - thanks for sharin'. And yes, Aunties are allowed to have favourites. ;-)

10:49 PM  
Blogger ThatBeeGirl said...

Your Martha Stewart spread looks so yummy!
Happy New Year!

12:44 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Great pictures! I'm so glad you had such a great celebration. Compared to yours - mine was very quiet indeed - we didn't have little ones running around although we did have champaign and it was excellent - LOL.

6:49 AM  
Blogger airforcewife said...

Belated happy New Year to you!

3:38 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

I want one of those yummy cupcakes with pink icing!

Counting the days with you! I hope it goes fast . . . I know you are excited!

6:35 PM  
Blogger Jennie said...

Everbody looks so tan and cute! Where did you do New Years -- Aruba?

7:11 PM  
Blogger Jennie said...

Oh duh, you were in Hawaii. To quote Napoleon Dynamite: Lucky!

We're going to Maui in May with the boyfriend's fam at their timeshare. I can't wait! I've never been!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Rachelle Jones said...

A fantastic looking table for certain, mine was much quieter...maybe next year I will crash your party...

3:12 PM  
Blogger Fermina Daza said...

I'm glad your NYE was much more fun than mine!


- hfs

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home