Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Homecoming

(I would post photos, but something seems to be wrong with my blogger...so I will have to wait on that.)

To say I was nervous is an understatement.

I drove out to the base to meet with someone who was going to sign me on post. And they dropped me off at the reception tent. I got there around 1:30pm, and the ceremony was supposed to start at 2pm. However, the guys were late. But we got constant updates of their status. On their way. 20 minutes away. When the announcement came that the bus was on post, the reception tent echoed with applause. And shortly after 3pm we got news that they were on the other side of the curtain.

I was so nervous I wasn't even smiling. The whole day I was rushing around doing last minute things, forgetting to even eat. I think the sense of anticipation and apprehension was similar to how I have heard people feel before they get married.

I wasn't the only one. A child in the front row was so excited about seeing her daddy again, she actually puked. Right as the curtain pulled back. Poor thing.

I searched the formation and saw my soldier immediately: he had the biggest smile plastered on his face. Well, as smiley as one can get in formation. It kind of surprised me, because my boyfriend isn't the smiley type. I am the smiley type. He is the reserved shy guy. But he had this HUGE smile on his face. And his eyes would flick over to where I was and twinkle, and then return to the straight forward stare of formation.

The chaplain came to the podium and said a prayer.

Then someone sang the national anthem.

Then a colonel made a very short speech, which no one at all was listening to, but I caught the words “the American people and freedom loving people all over the world thank you” and almost smirked, because the words sounded so trite in the monotonous tone they were being recited in.

And then the colonel said that the formation leader could release his soldiers.

And then about 5 seconds later I was hugging my soldier. And all apprehension disappeared.

And it's true...after the whole hoopla, you get home, sit on the sofa and chit chat about the most normal things, and realize that nothing has changed. It was like he never left.

Except that it's different now, because there isn't a deployment looming in front of us.

It's all finally behind us!

13 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

That's *exactly* the same thing that happened to us! I'm glad you two are back to normal.

P.S. I will send the Big Windy newspaper article now. I didn't know what was happening to the Chief's mail while he was gone, but now that he's back I feel confident that the article won't get forwarded somewhere. I'll send it today.

9:44 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

*Ahhhh* Life is good :)

12:14 PM  
Blogger Household6 said...

Hot Damn! The man is home! Enjoy every minute of it!!

HH6

12:18 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

Aw, congrats! Now go have fun and celebrate like crazy people :)

9:09 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I'm really happy for the two of you! I know the feeling...Enjoy each other's company...

9:22 PM  
Blogger Only $19.95 said...

I can taste the sekt.... Congrats to both of you!

2:59 AM  
Blogger ThatBeeGirl said...

I'm so happy for you and your bf! You're right -- it is all behind you now!

4:00 AM  
Blogger Day by Day said...

I am so excited for the two of you... I have goose bumps! :)

5:12 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Happy Reunion to you both!! Like someone else mentioned, I didn't expect to see your blog updated for a few days. It was such a wonderful surprise to read about your reunion and know that the long wait was finally over for you both.

Please tell him welcome home for us!

5:25 AM  
Blogger Adrienne Dawn said...

You don't know me, but please tell your bf from me, THANK YOU from my family. THANK YOU for protecting us, my two little boys and my husband and me, thank you for doing that so that my husband did not have to leave us and do it. I really do appreciate him and all the others who protect our freedom.

And congrats that the wait is FINALLY over!

6:15 AM  
Blogger CoInSide said...

Oh sweet bliss.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Jennie said...

This made me cry. Your man is back home. Thank you so much for sharing your moment with us. And thank HIM for what he has done for his country. Now go to Palm Springs where it's nice and warm, and order room service, dang it!

12:26 AM  
Blogger Fermina Daza said...

:)

I am so thrilled for you!!!


- hfs

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home